- Rice and pasta- No matter how much water you run or how long you run the appliance, you can never break rice or pasta down small enough. Both items swell when they are in contact with water, so the small pieces will eventually gather in the trap and swell until it is clogged.
- Animal bones- The garbage disposal is just not strong enough to break these down small enough to fit through. Animal bones are the most common thing that jams disposals.
- Grease- The grease will eventually solidify and clog a portion, or all, of your drain.
- Egg shells- Despite what you may have heard, egg shells do not sharpen disposal blades. Egg shells tend to clog drain lines.
- Asparagus, lettuce, celery and potato peels. Maybe in a small amount the disposal can handle it.
- NEVER EVER PUT YOUR HANDS INSIDE A GARBAGE DISPOSAL FOR ANY REASON
If you have a Garbage Disposal in your home then you know how crucial it is that it works properly. Unfortunately, like all man made products, sometimes garbage disposal can just stop working. If this happens call Hawthorne’s Plumbing, Inc today for service. Our service techs at Hawthorne’s Plumbing, Inc can service and replace your garbage disposal to keep your kitchen running smoothly.
Most issues that come from garbage disposal to stop can be easily fixed by pressing the red reset button on the bottom of the garbage disposal. If that does not work, contact Hawthorne’s Plumbing, Inc and one of our service techs can repair or replace your garbage disposal.
Garbage Disposal Tips
The best way to make sure your garbage disposal works properly at all times is to take steps to stop problems from occurring in the first place. Almost all garbage disposal problems are avoidable, provided you follow the following steps:
Things you should NOT put down your garbage disposal:
Things you MAY put down your garbage disposal:
- Vegetable ends
- Soft food matter
- Ice cubes (to clean the garbage disposal out every now and then)
- A little dishwashing soap (helps freshen the smell)
If you need garbage disposal repaired or replaced in Richmond, VA and surrounding counties please contact Hawthorne’s Plumbing, Inc today!
- Richmond VA Plumbers